Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free
Servings: 6-8, Total Time: 4 hours, Cooling Time: 3 hours, Active Time: 15-20 min, Cook Time: 30-40 min.
I made this cake as a riff off another amazing paleo baker, Zenbelly. I have been enjoying this during my Candida Cleanse since there is no sugar, starch, grains, or dairy. The technique of whipping the egg whites is genius and gives this cake an airy lift. A few things to note: 1) Do not cut into this cake right after you bake it. This cake tastes MUCH better completely cooled. 2) Monkfruit: Right out of the oven it can taste unsweetened. This is normal. Let it cool 3-4 hours before enjoying. 3) Almond flour. If you eat right away it can taste dry. The almond flour needs to re-release the moisture as it cools. Morale of this cake: its doing a LOT of things...so just have some patience and eat at least 3-4 hours later...or better yet the next day. Here we go....
4 eggs, whites separated from yolks
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp granulated monkfruit sugar, I use Lakinato Golden
1 tsp vanilla extract, or 1/2 scraped vanilla bean
1 tsp almond extract
zest of 2 lemons, about 3 tablespoons, I use a microplane or box grater
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups fine almond flour
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds, or chopped raw almonds (optional)
2 tbsp powdered monkfruit sugar, I use Lakinato
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease your loaf pan and place a piece of parchment on the bottom with enough overhang to lift the loaf out when finished. Cut the width to be the exact length of the loaf pan.
2. With a hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (5-7 minutes). I didn't have my mixer at home so I whisked them by hand (yikes) it worked well but my right bicep is considerably bigger than my left. !! It took about 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together: yolks, sweetener, vanilla, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon zest.
4. Stir in the almond meal until fully incorporated.
5. Slowly add the stiff whites to the almond meal mixture in thirds. Do NOT over mix. Stir together with spatula until full incorporated.
6. Pour into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with chopped almonds.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. This truly depends on your oven. Test by pressing the top gently with fingers. When the loaf feels firm and 'bounces back'. It is done. My oven took 36 minutes.
8. Cool inside the pan for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool for another 2-3 hours. Sift Powdered Sugar over the top. Should be completely cool before slicing.
Enjoy with coffee or tea. Let me know if you make it and like it!